Friday, June 1, 2012

Vista Mar

Yesterday, I had the luxury of getting out for the evening to celebrate twin girls on the way for a friend of ours in Cuba.  We made reservations at a little place called "Vista Mar".  It has been recommended to me before for the view this restaurant has if not for the actual food.  I can't believe it took two years for me to go!  The view was beautiful!  It was as though we had the entire restaurant to ourselves, with a huge table overlooking the pool, which overlooks the ocean.  The chairs had a  beachy feel to them and believe it or not, even the food was great!

I had "Ropa Vieja" which is a popular Cuban dish prepared generally with red meat, peppers, onions, tomatoes/sauce.  It reminds me of a Cuban form of chili...without the beans.  It's called "old clothes" because it's a dish that can be made with a wide variety of ingredients, and in this country, so often one cannot FIND all the specific ingredients to make any given recipe, so they just throw in whatever they have.  This version of Ropa Vieja was actually made from pork & it was delish.  I went with that dish because we only have 2 weeks left here!  Who knows when I might get the chance to have authentic Cuban food again.

A friend made a cake to go along with dinner and celebrate the babies.  When the waiter brought it out from the fridge, he thought a candle would be appropriate.  We didn't know what to sing.


I do not normally eat lemon pie, but we demolished this


What Cuban meal would be complete without cafe con leche?  Looks good, doesn't it?


Here are a few pictures of the restaurant and view!!





Qui bonita, eh?



1 comment:

Susan Smith said...

what a nice blog! sounds as though you had tons of fun.